Zenith Aircraft Co.
AIRCRAFT @ WORK & PLAY AROUND THE WORLD
pilot plans to fly his STOL CH 701 around the world
(and you thought
building the airplane was the tough part!)
Short description of a project:
Solo flight with ultralight plane
without additional air support from Slovenia over vast wilderness of
Siberia (Russia) to Kamchatka and forward across the Bering Strait to
Alaska, Canada, over Greenland to Iceland, England and back to Slovenia.
Duration of the flight:
80 days, Summer 2002
Length of the route: 31,000 km
Every Day: 500
to 1000 km or 5 to 12 hours
The Route over 12 countries:
Ljubljana (Slovenia) - Kunovice (Czechia)
- Minsk (Belorussia) - Moscow - Kazan - Ekaterinburg - Omsk - Novosibirsk
- Krasnojarsk - Bratsk - Kirensk - Olekminsk - Yakutsk - Ohotsk - Magadan
- Kozirevsk – Petropavlovsk (Kamchatka) - Palana - Markovo -Anadyr -
Providenia - Nome (Alaska)-Galena - Anchorage – Northway - Whitehorse
(Canada) – Ft. Nelson - Edmonton - Regina - Winnipeg - Thunder Bay -
Sudbury Quebec - Sept-Iles - Schefferville - Kujjuaq - Quaqtaq - Iqaluit -
Broughton - Sondre Strem Fjord (Greenland) - Kulusuk - Reykjavik (Island)
- Hornafjordur - Vagar (Faroe Islands) - Stornoway (Scotland) - Edinburg
(Great Britain) - Manchester - Munchen - Gorica (Slovenia-Italy).
- Long time (up to 12 hours) in the small plane
with very limited space
- Possibility of strong winds, headwinds
- Fog in polar regions
- Vast wilderness with few (if any) landing
- Icing of the plane especially especially
over Siberia, Chucotka, Alaska, Buffin, Iceland, Greenland,
- Long overwater crossings: Bering Strait:
300 km, Iqualit (Buffin Iceland) – Sondre Strom
Fjord,Greenland (Davis Strait): 480 km, Grenland (Kulusuk) –
Iceland Reykjavik (Denmark Strait): 760 km, Iceland – Farow
Icelands (Vagar): 500 km Farow Icelands (Vagar)- England: 420
- Possible ditching of the plane in freezing
Why the STOL CH
- Nobody's flown a light aircraft like this
across Siberia and nobody's flown solo in an "Ultralight"
plane around the world without additional air support.
- STOL performances: short take off and
landing performance, excellent off-airport capability, slow flight capability.
- Fuel is Avgas or Mogas for the installed
100-hp Rotax 912S engine (it is difficult in
Russia to always obtain proper aviation fuel).
- All-metal durability, visibility, enclosed
cabin with heat.
Project Website: www.worldtranssiberia.com
We wish pilot Matevz
Lenarcic success with his ambitious project!